Training WebinarsRegister for a free training webinar on LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor.
Getting Started Videos
View a brief video to help prepare yourself or your students to use Respondus Monitor with online exams.
Respondus Monitor is a companion application for LockDown Browser. To use Respondus Monitor, your institution must have a campus-wide license for LockDown Browser and the license administrator must have enabled the Respondus Monitor feature. Once enabled, instructors can access the Respondus Monitor settings through the LockDown Browser Dashboard (available within your LMS).
For more information, contact your institution's LMS administrator or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The sample wording below can be used in your course to explain that students must use LockDown Browser and a webcam (Respondus Monitor) for their online tests.
Using LockDown Browser and a Webcam for Online Exams
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser and a webcam for online exams. The webcam can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam feature.
Then download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
[NOTE TO INSTRUCTOR: INSERT YOUR INSTITUTION'S DOWNLOAD URL HERE]
To take an online test, start LockDown Browser and navigate to the exam. (You won't be able to access the exam with a standard web browser.) For additional details on using LockDown Browser, review this Student Quick Start Guide (PDF).
Finally, when taking an online exam, follow these guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc.
- Clear your desk of all external materials — books, papers, other computers, or devices
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test
- If a webcam is required, make sure it is plugged in or enabled before starting LockDown Browser
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted
- If a webcam is required, you will be recorded during the test to ensure you're using only permitted resources
Ensure your first exam using Respondus Monitor runs smoothly! Have students take an ungraded practice quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor, before taking a graded exam.
Leave the quiz available for the duration of the course, with unlimited attempts, so students can check their setup from a different computer.